Mold Prevention in Your Home
Mold in your Home
Mold is a natural part of our environment. It helps our ecosystem function by breaking down organic matter. However, it is unhealthy to have mold growing inside of our homes. According to the CDC, exposure to damp and moldy environments may cause a variety of health effects or none at all. Some people are sensitive to molds. For these people, molds can cause nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation, or, in some cases, skin irritation.
Mold grows best in warm, damp, and humid conditions. Mold can grow in 24-48 hours in the right conditions. There is no way to eliminate mold spores from the air, but there are precautions that can be taken to avoid the growth of indoor mold. Bathrooms are the perfect breeding ground for mold. When the weather permits, keep a window open in the bathroom when using the shower to reduce moisture. Hang towels to dry, and wipe down your tub, shower, and walls after showering. Eliminating moisture is your best defense against mold growth. If your bathroom has an exhaust fan, use it during baths and showers.
Keep an eye on humidity levels in your home and be sure to check various places in your home for moisture. Mold often grows on foundation walls and surfaces in the basement. It can also grow on carpets, floors, walls, and furniture. Clean up spills immediately and inspect your home for leaks. Be sure to empty drip trays from your appliances such as refrigerators, air conditioners, and dehumidifiers.
We hope these tips can help keep mold from growing in your home, but if you find yourself with a mold problem, we're here to help. We can remediate the mold and bring your home back to healthy living conditions.